Sunday, July 22, 2012

12th Street Beach

    It has been a hot summer here in Chicago. Like, really hot. I actually prefer warm temperatures (I get goosebumps if our air conditioner is set any lower than 78) but even I have to admit that there have been some insufferable days. On the most insufferable day last week (the thermometer flirted with 99 degrees, before humidity), Katie and I went to 12th street beach on the Museum Campus. While going to the beach on a devastatingly hot day might sound like a logical choice, there
are some days when you would be crazy to leave your comfortably air-conditioned home or office. This was one of those days. 

    I’m going to do my best to separate the stifling heat we experienced from our impression of the beach itself, but I feel it’s only fair to warn that this is not a hot-weather beach. You’ll want to find someplace bigger with more space to spread out and diffuse the noise (like Montrose, Hollywood, or Loyola) if you’re genuinely seeking to cool off.

    Anyway, this beach is on the Museum Campus, between Northerly Island and the Adler Planetarium. In the summer, the area swarms with people who don’t know what they’re doing or where they’re going, so driving demands a little patience. (Try not to swear at the cars with Minnesota license plates. It’s not their fault they’re from Minnesota.) When Katie and I drove in separately, we were disappointed to see that the beach parking area was closed off because they needed the space to prepare for some concert at Northerly Island, but we found the secret to getting through closed roads in Chicago: ask nicely if you can be let in. Katie went with the, “I’m trying to get to the building at Northerly Island!” excuse and was bumped right through; a few minutes later, I waved my hand at the guard and said “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for,” and he looked at me like I was crazy, so then I also mumbled something about Northerly Island. So we were let in and found tons of parking for $1/hour, but we’re not sure if it will always be that easy. (Side note/opportunity to vent: apparently while in the parking lot I ran over some sort of screw that punctured my tire in a place where it couldn’t be patched, so my $2 parking steal became a $150 tire replacement. Careful where you walk.)   

    We first walked among the meadows of Northerly Island, a place Katie and I have fond memories of from summers when there wasn’t a major drought. This year, I was worried that the reflection of my car key on the grass would start a raging inferno, so it wasn’t quite the relaxing natural refuge I would have preferred, but I’d recommend returning closer to Fall. Just leave your magnifying glass and lighter fluid at home, please.

    Just north of there is the beach, which is rather small, but very nice. There is a dramatic curve to the beach, which Katie pointed out had the effect of making Lake Michigan seem like a smaller vacation lake. There isn’t a ton of sandy area, which contributes to that vacation-lake feeling. It is amphitheater-style, which is always a nice way to immerse yourself in the setting. However, the curved amphitheater also amplifies the noise, cutting down on the relaxation factor. The sand is good quality and the water is clean (believe us on this point—most of this review was written while knee deep). And if you position yourself just right, you won’t be able to see the factories on the Indiana shore!

    For obvious reasons, the beach was crowded that day, mostly filled with day campers. I don’t know about you, but I get anxiety around large groups of children as a crushing burden of responsibility falls on my shoulders (people always think that I’m joking when I say this, but I’m really not!). Katie handled them pretty well, but if you’re anything like me (ok I know nobody else out there has this anxiety, but please just humor me so I can feel slightly more normal) you’ll want a beach with a bigger sand area so you can avoid the groups.

    The concession stand is nicer than expected—in addition to normal fare, there are lots of Mexican favorites (like tortas, elotes, and tacos) from the Little Village restaurant Del Campo. And, to answer your burning question, they do have fake cheese! Katie partook in some elotes (corn with a delicious mix of mayo, butter, salt, lime, and chili powder) and it looked and smelled amazing. If I hadn’t felt like my internal organs were melting, I totally would have stolen her food.

    There are restrooms here, but I’d only recommend using them if you can’t find a nice looking shrub to do your business in first.

    The views of the Loop from 12th Street Beach (which should technically be 13th St Beach, but you know, superstition) are amazing, and the short walks to Northerly Island, Burnham Harbor, and three world-class museums make for a great day-trip. It’s a kid-friendly location, and one of those beaches that will still be a great destination even after beach season. Don’t forget to check out the area bike paths, too.

Until next time, be kind and hydrate!

Location: 1300 S. (exit Lake Shore Drive at 18th Street and follow signs to Northerly Island)

Parking: It’s there, but you need to turn on the charm or brace for a long walk

Atmosphere: Kid-friendly, vacationlike

Food/Restrooms: Yes to both

Overall Grade: B+






1 comment:

  1. Not only did I now know about this beach, I have been craving elotes. Plan on visiting this beach before the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete